[Blues-l] Tommy Brown Gets His Props

Jef Jaisun jef@jaisunphoto.com
Thu Feb 19 12:18:39 EST 2015

Tsk, tsk. Are we going there again? Can blue men sing the whites?

Richard Penniman was a blues singer before Art
Rupp handed him over to producer Bumps Blackwell
with the intent of achieving commercial R&B/pop
success. (That would be the same Bumps Blackwell
who attended Garfield High in Seattle, and whose
late 1930's jazz combo was managed by my father.)

Nobody has to defend Clapton any more than they'd
have to defend Mike Bloomfield (as if anyone
thinks Mike would ever need defending).
Regardless of how Clapton came to the blues,
there's no question he reveres it and its
originators, and thus helped blow the doors open
for it to world-wide audiences and multiple
generations. Scuze him if he didn't pick enough
cotton or sing his way out of prison. ;)

Yes, there are many others also deserving, and
some should already have been chosen. That
doesn't mean Clapton and Little Richard don't deserve to be included.

Now, Keith Richards...well...