[Blues-l] Passings

P.W. Fenton pwfenton@radiofreeradio.org
Fri Sep 12 07:26:37 EDT 2014

Yesterday we learned of the passing of the legendary recording engineer and studio owner who helped introduce and shape New Orleans' music, Cosimo Matassa.  I posted a picture that I’ve had of him in front of his family’s French Quarter grocery store, that I’ve had for many years.  I haven’t been able to remember where I obtained the picture.  It’s at least 12 years old.  It began to bug me, so I’ve been trying to track down the source.

I thought perhaps I might have obtained it from long time Zeller and one time “list-owner", Curtis Hewston.  Because I’ve stayed in contact with him on Facebook, I knew he was currently hospitalized because of an unexpected bout with a perforated ulcer.  So I decided to see how he was doing and maybe get some help tracking down the source of the photo.  I was quite dismayed to learn that Curtis Hewston passed away from his illness on September 8th.

P.W. Fenton
Hudson, FL
2003 KBA winner
http://BluesLand.Net