[BluesList] Irma Thomas has mixed feelings about the rediscovery of her 1970s-era 'Lost Cotillion Album'

Jef Jaisun jef@jaisunphoto.com
Sat May 17 13:37:14 EDT 2014

  "Full Time Woman" was originally written and
recorded by blues singer Alice Stuart, who is
still performing and touring. www.alicestuart.com
The song was released on her Fantasy Records
album in 1970, and remains in her set list. It's
been covered by a number of artists besides Irma,
one of them being Grootna, the group produced by
Jefferson Airplane's Marty Balin in 1972 for
Columbia. Somewhere I might still have the rare single of that release.

Arif Mardin produced a huge number of successful
female balladeers. Unfortunately for Irma, one of
them was Diana Ross. Also unfortunately, when it
came to Irma, Mardin couldn't see the forest for
the trees. Maybe it was that failure that helped
him do a better job later on, with artists like
Anita Baker, Norah Jones and Roberta Flack.

It always bothers me to hear of bonehead
recording moguls trying to change the style of
inherently great artists to match someone already
famous. How many flopped folksingers have been
touted as "the next Bob Dylan?" Specialty Records
tried to get Little Richard to sound like Nat
Cole, til one night producer Bumps Blackwell
heard the real Richard on stage. Columbia had no
clue what to do with Aretha early on, and those
LPs made her sound like a lounge singer. At least
Wexler got that one right when he signed her to
Atlantic. In 1970, a blues singer friend of mine
was told by another top clown at Columbia that he
needed to "sound more like James Taylor." Say
what? Kind of brings up the retro-rhetorical
question: "So what was your first clue the recording industry was on coke?"

Forty years later Irma still rules. Anyone who's
see her perform can tell you that.

JJ