[BluesList] St. Louis concertgoers sing the blues after erratic performance by 88-year-old B.B. King - Seymour Tribune

P.W. Fenton pwfenton@radiofreeradio.org
Tue Apr 8 11:23:59 EDT 2014

On Apr 8, 2014, at 10:43, Jef Jaisun <jef@jaisunphoto.com> wrote:

> I love B.B. like he's my own kin, and I'd go see him if I could hang out with him like we used to do in the old days. But nobody can do that anymore. He's got too many self-important handlers keeping people away, and the show described in this article has been the norm for at least a decade now. Nobody buys a ticket to the King of the Blues to hear him sing "You Are My Sunshine," let alone dawdle with it for 20  minutes.
>
> Even the King of the Blues has to hang 'em up some time. Unfortunately, it's overdue.

I agree with you, Jef, both in terms of my eternal love for B.B. King and in that I can’t bear to see him like this.  Last year my wife talked me into buying tickets to a concert.  I had seen a video of a recent concert and really didn’t want to see him do as poorly as he did in that video.  But my wife pushed hard… and a friend of ours was opening for him… so I bought tickets… great tickets… a couple of rows back.  It was very sad.  Mentally, he was barely there.  He never finished anything he was saying because he constantly forgot what he was doing.  He repeated the same chatter over and over, and played the same song 3 times.  The band seemed content with letting this happen.  During one song he played a 3 verse solo in the wrong key and the band never attempted to change the key they were in.  The crowd was very warm and appreciative, and never acted like anything was wrong, but for me it was very dramatic.  I was longing for it to just end, because I felt so bad for him.  And I sure as hell never want to see him booed.

P.W. Fenton
Hudson, FL
http://BluesLand.Net