Where are the blues?

Jimmy Jacobs jacobslawoffice@GMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 9 15:30:12 EST 2013

It has been rare in NOLA for there to be any touring blues bands other than
during Jazz Fest during the past 20 years, although I usually could find
some local blues artists playing each time I visited the city.  More
recently, Chickie Wah Wah and Rock'n'Bowl have begun to book some of the
same acts that we get here in Montgomery and the southeastern region.  I am
pretty sure that the Voodoo society supports that, and may have been the
impetus behind it.

We have a restaurant here, the Capitol Oyster Bar, that books around 45-50
touring blues acts a year (plus a few other non-blues acts).  I am very
grateful that the owner is a blues lover, and is willing to take a financial
hit from time to time just because he loves the music.  I enjoy going to
festivals where I can see a lot of great acts concentrated into a few days,
but there is nothing that can beat being able to catch Little Ed, Janiva,
Bob Margolin, etc. in a small venue environment.

Prior to the COB's involvement, I tried to get another club to book at least
one act a month but that has dried up due to a change in ownership..

-----Original Message-----
From: Blues Music List [mailto:BLUES-L@LISTSERV.NETHELPS.COM] On Behalf Of
Terence McArdle
Sent: Friday, March 08, 2013 8:53 AM
To: BLUES-L@LISTSERV.NETHELPS.COM
Subject: Re: Where are the blues?

http://www.offb

>>>Column by Jan Ransey that may be of interest.

http://www.offbeat.com/2013/03/06/where-blues/

I've had the same thought about Washington though my frustration is more
that there is one blues club (The Zoo Bar) that has a rotation of only 4
bands -- and there is nowhere that consistently books anyone from out of
town. It would be nice to have a club that would bring in say, John Nemeth,
Marquise Knox, James Kinds  -- some of the folks who aren't (but should be)
marquee names. I think one problem is that promoters in recent years have
focused on the festivals to the exclusion of clubs, partly because they can
get more money for just one set of music and also because the cost of van
traveling is so unpredictable. (Revues like The Mannish Boys are actually
designed for festival bookings.)  But the festival money seems to be drying
up because the local governments don't have it and the corporate sponsors
are under pressure to cut, too. So if someone started a blues club --
perhaps with a side order of soul and funk which are having a big revival
now  with the younger, collegiate set -- could possibly have a go of it.
They would NOT make a killing, however -- and the format wouldn't work
owner-BLUES-L@listserv.nethelps.com

Terence