NBC: Poll: How do you get most of your commercial music these days

cybergaloot@COMCAST.NET cybergaloot@COMCAST.NET
Tue Jan 31 17:46:21 EST 2012

The Taperssection.com. Its a forum devoted to live music recording, the majority being non-commercial. I'd have to say that I think the responses are pretty honest. Some admit to downloading commercial music for free but it is not the even close to the majority, less than 20%. And trust me, its not that they don't know where to get free downloads. Its a different mentality, maybe because of a closer association with the musicians. I can bet that those who say they buy from the artist are buying from the same musicians they are recording. I know I do it.
--
Walter

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jay Watterworth" <jaywatterworth@comcast.net>
To: cybergaloot@COMCAST.NET, BLUES-L@LISTSERV.NETHELPS.COM
Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 5:36:42 PM
Subject: Re: NBC: Poll: How do you get most of your commercial music these days

Can you tell me where you got this?
Thanks,
Jay

-----Original Message-----
From: cybergaloot@COMCAST.NET
Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 2:55 PM
To: BLUES-L@LISTSERV.NETHELPS.COM

On a forum devoted to recording live music there was a poll that I've found
kind of interesting. I think the poll could have been better but it gives a
clue what a group that is heavily into music thinks about downloading
commercial music for free (stealing).

--
Walter

How do you get most of your commercial music these days and how much of your
music is downloaded for free? (Choose as many as apply)
I pay for downloads from services like itunes and I love it (convenience,
selection and lower cost) 5 (4.5%)
I pay for downloads from services like itunes mostly because I can't get the
music I want anywhere else. 1 (0.9%)
I buy most of my music from music stores (new) because I prefer owning the
physical media 17 (15.5%)
I buy most of my commercial music directly from the artists at a show 24
(21.8%)
I buy my music from music stores because I don't own an ipod or MP3 player
or I can't figure out how to download 1 (0.9%)
I buy most of my music 'used' off ebay or from a re-seller, like a used CD
store 14 (12.7%)
I download commercial music for free from friends or from torrents sites
like piratebay (or similar) 9 (8.2%)
I don't buy any commercial or listen to commercial music anymore because I
only listen to live taper stuff 9 (8.2%)
I never download free from friends or from torrents because I think it's
wrong 6 (5.5%)
I never download free from friends or from torrents because I don't know how
or don't have access to friends music 1 (0.9%)
I get commercial music by a combination of downloading for free and
paying...but I pay for most of my commercial music 14 (12.7%)
I get commercial music by a combination of downloading for free and
paying...but I download most of my commercial music for free 9 (8.2%)

Total Members Voted: 58