NYT - Folklorist's Global Jukebox Goes Digital

P.W. Fenton pwfenton@RADIOFREERADIO.ORG
Tue Jan 31 10:21:04 EST 2012

On Jan 31, 2012, at 9:53, Jimmy Jacobs wrote:

> NYT article on the digitization of the Alan Lomax archive.

Here's something I've never been able to understand... an enormous quantity of these recordings were "made for hire" for the Library of Congress, in other words, paid for by the U.S. Government, and therefore owned by the citizens of the United States.  I don't understand how he, or his heirs, can ever claim ownership of this stuff.

P.W. Fenton
Hudson, FL
2003 KBA winner
http://BluesLand.Net