Fw: Joint Statement Regarding PIPA (S.968) & SOPA (HR 3261)

Stan Erhart stan@ERHART.NET
Sat Jan 21 03:34:40 EST 2012

I received this statement from AFM a little while ago. The intent sounds good, but unfortunately for them/us, I think messing with the internet in the way that was intended is very dangerous. The free internet is bringing the world together in ways never seen before. If the govt, or others in authority, use dns servers to black out sites they suspect of breaking U.S. laws, it will lead down a very slippery path - and probably expensive legal battles that will bankrupt many "little people".

The horse is out of the barn. In this day and age just about anybody, including Justin Bieber, could be charged with criminal activity. Maybe because they downloaded a movie, or an mp3, or because they sang along with a record, and uploaded it to youtube.

There is a LOT of material on youtube that I would presume to be copyrighted. If I want to listen to a tune to learn, I look for it on youtube first. If I really like it, I'll buy it thru amazon (rather than convert the vid to mp3), because the quality is much better. But the point is that there is a lot of original recordings of copyrighted material on youtube. So I'm sure google is worried about how this could affect their business. It's not just about piracy from sites outside the U.S.

Stan Erhart
-----Original Message-----
From: AFM <broadcast@afm.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 22:43:46
To: Stan Erhart<stan@erhart.net>
Subject: Joint Statement Regarding PIPA (S.968) & SOPA (HR 3261)

January 20, 2012

**Joint Statement from AFM, AFTRA, DGA, IATSE, IBT and SAG  Regarding
the PROTECT IP Act (S. 968) and the STOP Online Piracy Act (HR 3261)**

   The following statement was issued by the American Federation of
Musicians (AFM), American Federation of Television and Radio Artists
(AFTRA), Directors Guild of America (DGA), International Alliance of
Theatrical Stage Employees, Moving Picture Technicians, Artists and
Allied Crafts of the United States, Its Territories and Canada (IATSE),
Screen Actors Guild (SAG), and International Brotherhood of Teamsters
(IBT):

      "We thank and commend Senators Reid, Leahy and Kyl as well as
Congressmen Smith, Conyers, Goodlatte, Watt and Berman and all the other
co-sponsors of the PROTECT IP Act and the Stop Online Piracy Act, who in
the face of an onslaught of mistruths and great pressure to renege on
their commitment, stood steadfast in their belief that the uniquely
American creativity embodied in our country's films, TV programs and
music deserves to be protected from illegal foreign profiteers.  We
fought for this legislation because illegal Internet businesses that
locate offshore expressly to elude US laws should not escape the very
same rules of law that currently apply to illegal US websites – they
should not be allowed to reap in profits if they knowingly sell or
distribute illicitly gained content and goods which they had no role in
creating or financing to the American consumer.

    "We recognize that we are currently part of a complex and
important debate about the future, not just of the Internet but also of
creativity, the American economy, free expression, and a civil
society.   We believe that the light should be being shined on every
aspect of this discussion and on all of those who have a stake in it.
We believe we should discuss what an unregulated 'free' Internet means
for the future of content, just as we should also discuss the importance
of an open Internet.

  "We welcome this debate. We hope a new tone can be set and it is not
one that turns our advocacy for this legislation into an implication
that we promote censorship. Our commitment to the First Amendment is
decades old and long established – it is a matter of public record
from long before the word 'Internet' was part of anyone's vocabulary.
If one truly embraces free expression, they do not take down the Library
of Congress websites, the very symbol of our country's belief in
knowledge and learning.  We would hope a new tone can be set that does
not pit the creativity and innovation of our directors, actors,
performers, craftspeople, and technicians against those innovators in
other industries.  We hope a new tone can be set that does not include
website attacks, blacklists, blackouts, and lies. We believe an Internet
that does not allow outright stealing has to be the Internet of the
future or all the promises it holds will be unrealized.

    "We are committed to open debate. We are equally as committed to
protecting our members' ability to create and to earn a living while
doing so.  We will work with Chairmen Leahy and Smith to make both
possible.”

Click here (http://broadcast.afm.org/lt.php?c=369&m=266&nl=37&s=afc4682033984c602211a69e1239343d&lid=4046&l=-http--www.afm.org/uploads/file/SOPAPIPARelease.pdf) for a
PDF copy of the press release.

AFM Website (http://broadcast.afm.org/lt.php?c=369&m=266&nl=37&s=afc4682033984c602211a69e1239343d&lid=4041&l=-http--www.afm.org/) | Edit Member Profile
(http://broadcast.afm.org/lt.php?c=369&m=266&nl=37&s=afc4682033984c602211a69e1239343d&lid=4042&l=-http--afm.org/settings) | AFM Facebook
(http://broadcast.afm.org/lt.php?c=369&m=266&nl=37&s=afc4682033984c602211a69e1239343d&lid=4043&l=-http--www.facebook.com/afmorg) | AFM Twitter
(http://broadcast.afm.org/lt.php?c=369&m=266&nl=37&s=afc4682033984c602211a69e1239343d&lid=4044&l=-http--www.twitter.com/MusiciansUnion) | AFM YouTube
(http://broadcast.afm.org/lt.php?c=369&m=266&nl=37&s=afc4682033984c602211a69e1239343d&lid=4045&l=-http--www.youtube.com/MusiciansUnion)

Copyright © 2011 American Federation of Musicians
1501 Broadway Suite 600 | New York, NY 10036

You're receiving this email because you're a member, officer or
otherwise affiliated with the American Federation of Musicians of the
United States and Canada. If you've received this email in error or
would like unsubscribe to future mailings, click here (http://broadcast.afm.org/box.php?nl=37&c=369&m=266&s=afc4682033984c602211a69e1239343d&funcml=unsub2).