Blues for Kids

Valerie Johnson bluesyall@WILDBLUE.NET
Mon Jan 2 19:38:44 EST 2012

Happy New Year!!!!!

Al B Blue and I will start presenting our Blues for Kids classes and
workshops in some of the Santa Barbara Elementary Schools in a couple of
weeks.   This has all been made possible by sponsorship from the Santa
Barbara Blues Society (SBBS)/Blues for Youth Program.   They really are
working hard to "Keepin the Blues Alive".  Thank you Santa Barbara Blues
Society <http://www.sbblues.org/index.php>.
Last year, being sponsored by SBBS, we were able to do interactive
workshops with several High School classes and interactive assemblies
for 8th grade classes at two Junior Highs.  Introducing and spreading
the Blues is such an exciting and wonderful experience for all.  We make
sure the kids are apart of the process - hands on.  Not just listening,
but writing songs, playing various instruments and much more...
This year Rosie Keller, the SBBS Blues for Youth coordinator, has got us
set up for several 6 wk classes for 3rd, 4th and 5th graders.  We'll be
going thru a bit of the history of the Blues, learning blues basics like
12 bar, call and response, making some primitive instruments used with
the Blues, song writing and the kids will perform their own Blues songs
by doing assemblies for their schools and parents.  We like to go
through the whole process of learning and applying.

I would like your help.  I want to have more Blues role models of Latin
decent to use as examples.   If you have names and youtubes or websites
to refer me to I would really appreciate it.

We've been presenting Blues for Kids interactive workshops for around 15
years.  California, Texas, Oregon, Washington, Arkansas, even Thailand
and Korea.  To learn more about Blues for Kids click on vjblues.com
<http://vjblues.com> and go to BFK.

Valerie Johnson