Lou's Pier 4 - San Fran blues scene

Deb Lubin deblubin@SBCGLOBAL.NET
Mon Feb 27 18:30:03 EST 2012

Lou's closed for remodeling many months ago, and has not reopened yet, Mark, but
we locals just got a message that it will reopen soon with local bands.  That's
good news since we were led to believe that there would be no more music when it
reopened.  It's been renamed Lou's Fish Shack (I believe that's the name).  No
reopening date was mentioned.

I think we still have a great scene here.  Lots of places have opened in the
South Bay (i.e., San Jose area).

In SF, it's still mostly Biscuits and Blues (thank heaven for that place)
booking touring bands (and locals) and The Saloon in North Beach, with blues 7
days a week in the oldest bar in the City.  Just saw Earl Thomas and Junior
Watson at Biscuits with Bobby Radcliff and Joe Louis Walker scheduled later this
week.  The Saloon has bands like the Steve Freund Trio, Nick Gravenites, Barry
Melton, and many many more.

The South Bay has The Poor House Bistro, with both local and touring bands, also
open for music 7 days a week, although not all blues.  He also has reggae and
New Orleans music.  It's a wonderful place with no cover and food straight outta
N'Awlins.  And the newest happening place is The Grand Dell Saloon in Campbell,
which is hosting a KILLER Thursday night jam led by the harmonica player (Aki
KUmar) in Tip of the Top (our IBC band in 2011).  Players who have stopped in
recently include Rick Estrin, Kid Andersen, Terry Hanck, Junior Watson, Andy
Santana, Steve Freund, and many others I can't think of right now.

In the middle is the Club Fox in Redwood City, which hosts a great jam on
Wednesday nights with a rotating host band every week and some good jammers.
Coming up are Terry Hanck, Earl Thomas, Volker Strifler, Johnny Rawls, Wendy
DeWitt, Mark Hummel, and more.  They also have a few blues shows.

On the coast is the Half Moon Bay Brewing Company, which has live music
(featuring a lot of blues) Fridays through Sundays.

And there are other places scattered throughout.  Restaurants seem to be the
latest trend offering live music here.

Hope this answers some of your questions, Mark.
Deb