This week's schedule and Blues for Kids Update

Valerie Johnson bluesyall@WILDBLUE.NET
Fri Feb 17 12:40:59 EST 2012

Hi All you Blues-L folks,
Al B Blue and I have been Busy doing the Blues!!!!!!!!!!
*_
Monday_* Al B Blue & I  were prepping for Blues for Kids classes and
packing all the stuff we use.  I also, had band pracice with The
Strata-tones. http://www.thestratatones.com <http://www.thestratatones.com/>
_
*Tuesday*_ We *(Karen Tyler Trio featuring Valerie Johnson & Al B Blue)
*were the Headliners at a Valentines gig. We got a standing ovation and
encore.  We did several of Karen Tyler's originals
http://karentyler.com/  (she is an incredible singer/songwriter/guitar
player, Lovin You, Love Letters, and so much more)...AT Last - dedicated
to Etta James, Ah Shucks -  Jimmy Reed, Magic - Al B Blue and Micheal
Sides wrote it.
_
*Wednesday and Thursday*_ - teaching 5th grade classes in Santa Barbara
(about 2 hrs south). Sponsored by the Santa Barbara Blues Society with
their Blues for Youth Coordinator Rosemarie Keller doing our Blues for
Kids classes, prepping for the 5th grade classes performances on Feb 29
& Mar 1. This week the students were practicing the blues songs they
wrote and decorated their didley bows with stickers provided by a
nationally known label company.    Also, Al B Blue was teaching some of
the kids their guitar and lap steel parts for the songs each class
co-wrote.  We completed our 5th class out of 6 and then the 7th time we
meet will be the students performing at their schools.  The audience
will consist of their fellow students (K - 6th grade), teachers,
parents, Santa Barbara Blues Society members and the media.

Then we also met with Dr. Daniels - professor at UCSB and author of at
least 2 books about the
Blues.http://www.blackstudies.ucsb.edu/people/bios/daniels.html . Next
Thursday Al and I will play some Blues while he is giving a talk about
the Blues at the Santa Barbara High School Library.
_
*Friday* _(today) we are playing as a trio with Dr. Bob our reed man,
(sax's and clarinet's) for the Cal Poly Swing Dance Festival.  We get to
do the Blues portion.  We've played this for several years.  It's so fun
watching these expressive dancers and they want mostly slow Blues - a
blues singers dream!!!!!!!!!  I'll be in pig heaven......

We're working at keeping the Blues Alive one person at a time....one
class at a time.....one gig at a time......
Valerie Johnson
vjblues.com