28th IBC Results

Eric A Simonsen easimo@GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 8 20:28:34 EST 2012

On the "popularity" remark, I have been a judge at the IBC each of the past three years. Speaking for myself , of the thirty or so performances I have judged, I had never heard of or heard any of them prior to their walking on stage. Thus "popularity" is just not applicable for me. While it may apply to a couple of "top" judges, I would bet a lot of money that the vast majority of judges are similar to me in this aspect.
I conduct my judging based upon a deep musical background, with more than a passing awareness of " the blues". By the time these performers reach Memphis, each is at least "acceptable" in their craft. Each year - two years solo/duo and one year band - I have heard some strong performances, but there are always one to three among the ten performing at a venue who stand well above the others
While I cannot speak for my fellow judges, I would bet their experiences are more similar  to mine than not.
Interestingly but not surprisingly, low scores in "blues content" seem in my experience to be more prevalent in the band competition.
Eric
Sent from my iPhone