28th IBC Results

scottcable@AOL.COM scottcable@AOL.COM
Wed Feb 8 19:36:05 EST 2012

I have been watching this thread for a bit  and it is a familiar topic but enjoayable to follow. I feel pretty much the same as Hash.  I have actually been paying less and less attention to the current blue scene as the bands that people seem to like in no way ,shape or form appeal to me. I love Americana and other forms of music but to my ears Lurrie Bell, Billy Branch, Joe Louis Walker and a few others are the only working artists that appeal to my tastes in blues. I like Taj a lot and a few others that I really enjoy do not even consider themslves blues artists but fan catorigize them as that. The IBC is not what I would call indicative of the real state of Blues but reflects the tastes of a Blues Societies and their members. There are many bands beter than those represented but are not in the good graces of a society or dont have the funds to travel and or enter. Contests such as this and award shows these days are not as much about musical content as it is a popularity contest....Jus my two cents.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ricky Stevens <deltabluz@HOTMAIL.COM>
To: BLUES-L <BLUES-L@LISTSERV.NETHELPS.COM>
Sent: Wed, Feb 8, 2012 3:11 pm
Subject: Re: 28th IBC Results

> Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 13:19:13 -0600
 From: sbillingssbillings@GMAIL.COM
 To: BLUES-L@LISTSERV.NETHELPS.COM

 One is blues once was so reliant on strong vocals.  I love the strong
 vocals,son house, skip james, howling wolf, muddy.  Good vocals are one of
 the main things lacking in much of the blues today.   The people now that I
 like, tab benoit, delbet mclinton, john mooney, all have a unique voice. I
 also like many of the women  playing today, since i guess they do not loose
 by comparison.

This is the reason the IBC scoring was changed to consider vocal talent
eparately from instrumental talent.  The current categories for judging are
lues content, vocal talent, instrumental talent, originality, and stage
resence.

icky Stevens
rkabutla, Mississippi