28th IBC Results

Patrick Hertel bloozguy@TEKSAVVY.COM
Wed Feb 8 09:46:21 EST 2012

Blues "nazis", "snobs" etc may exist to some extent but I think we are
"arguing" over something more than blues purity. I live in a town where
the Bluesfest features such blues icons as KISS. It is a matter not of
purity but the total denial of reality (like WMD's). In that case, I am
quite prepared to practice my goose stepping.

Something else missing a lot of times IMHO IS "authenticity". And by
that I don't mean in a historical or roots sense, I mean "feeling". It
too often seems as if the band is kind of sitting outside watching
itself, instead of being inside the music. A rote/lip-sync 1-4-5 if you
will.

Maybe in the past they were hungrier ... or maybe I was. Maybe in my
dotage I have become not a "nazi", "snob" or "elitist" but ......... a
blues curmudgeon. :)