28th IBC Results

MARK SCHOSSOW yupduluth@MSN.COM
Wed Feb 8 09:07:17 EST 2012

Once more
You are wbat you are,it is what it is and we be dyin off.I will definitely be gone this time next yearNot cuz I wanna be gone,but it is what it is. These forums are so important.
                Peace out, Yup

Yup say...Ya dont need to own no shoes to dance da Blues.

-----Original Message-----

From: Chuck Winans
Sent: 8 Feb 2012 05:34:09 GMT
To: BLUES-L@LISTSERV.NETHELPS.COM
Subject: Re: 28th IBC Results

So would I.  This "definition of blues" argument / discussion is older than dirt, and always ends up the same way - a mess of people angry and no concise definition.

Every time I read or hear someone stating that festival should go more out of their way to hire "authentic" blues artists, I am struck by two immediate ideas:

1.  The person maintaining this ideal is often somehow connected in some way -- professionally, personally or both -- to someone they believe is an "authentic" blues artist receiving the short end of the stick; and

2.  How much harder it is each time to find "authentic" blues artists.   2011 was particularly devastating to that "authenticity" as we lost a large number of the last of those "authentic" bluesmen who, if they were not directly first-generation bluesmen, were at least old enough to have been personally connected in some way to that first generation.  Their greatest asset (aside from the obvious talent they possessed)? They were fortunate enough to outlive their peers.

And NO, Bonnie -- sons, daughters, step-children, in-laws, and other "relatives" of legendary deceased bluesmen are not deserving of more recognition or work just by virtue of familial relationship, any more than I should be placed in the same category of photographer legend as Ernest Withers, Dick Waterman, Ray Flerlage, Paul Natkin or Jef Jaisun merely by virtue of the fact that we have all had the same KBA Award bestowed upon us.

Talent wise, I don't deserve to lick the bottom of their collective shoes.

I got whatever I got because I worked my ass off for it and not necessarily because I was  consistently good at it.  But  NOBODY gets it merely by birthright.

"Authenticity"....indeed.

Chuck Winans
Chicago, Illinois

Sent from my iPhone