28th IBC Results

Chuck Winans chuckone@SBCGLOBAL.NET
Wed Feb 8 06:49:40 EST 2012

There are "traditionalist snobs" attached to every style of music.  I came up on the acoustic "folk" side of the business. My "heroes" (as well as friends and acquaintances) are people like Rory Block, Paul Geremia, Stefan Grossman, Andy Cohen and the many guys who recorded for Kicking Mule Records in the 1970.  There are "folk nazis", too.  As in "if you plug in, it's not 'real' folk music" type of snobs.

You'll find people like this in jazz circles and country music circles.  If you look hard enough, you can probably find them in the hip-hop scene as well.

I love Chris Cain.  First met him in 1998.  His playing is not only mind-blowing but interesting, free-form within a basic structure of blues, obviously influenced heavily by Albert King and taken one step beyond.

If this argument was taken into the photography profession and someone attempted to maintain that the term "real photographer" applied only to someone who shot with film, I would first be incredibly embarrassed to be called a "real" photographer because I once shot a lot of film before my digital conversion and would second ask that "photography nazi" whether their strict definition automatically excludes Matthew Brady as a photographer, since he shot only onto glass plate negatives.

Sent from my iPhone