28th IBC Results

MARK SCHOSSOW yupduluth@msn.com
Wed Feb 8 00:05:27 EST 2012

Its all you say.I hear no reference to doc Watson with leadbelly in early days.Hank sr.,Jimmy Rogers,Jim Kweskins jugband with Maria deAmato,and Jeff muldaur. To deny them is to deney Cab Callaway, Ricci Lee Jones / Billy Holiday, g 'nite folks,if anyone is so disgusted, Boycot it and listen to what you like on radio,start a preservation of da Blues IBC

Yup say...Ya dont need to own no shoes to dance da Blues.

-----Original Message-----

From: Gregory Johnson
Sent: 8 Feb 2012 04:52:07 GMT
To: BLUES-L@LISTSERV.NETHELPS.COM
Subject: Re: 28th IBC Results

"Authentic Heritage Blues Artists"? Just what do you mean by that?   "The sad thing is that these IBC competitions have become showcases for festival promoters who hire these bands, maybe as a way to save money instead of scouting out and hiring real blues acts. Blues Foundation, instead of putting so much energy into these competitions and fostering the creation of new bands, needs to work on creating and educating new blues FANS." Maybe those festivals are trying to discover talent they have not seen yet. Are you against having new artists come up within the genre. The last time I spoke with Hubert Sumlin, and I heard him say it over and over again, was that the music had to continue. The tradition had to carry on. How would that happen if new artists were not coming up to do so? Nobody lives forever. And many of those "new" acts that take part in the IBC are not actually new, but have been sowing their oats in their own regions for many years. Without this event, a good many would never gain attention. Just because you may have not heard of these people does not mean they're not capable of playing the music. Our act has been performing well over 25 years and spent a week woodshedding at a motel with Albert Collins they were staying in together. Impressing Albert enough that he began calling our guy the "White Buddy Guy." Though his music draws more upon Albert or Ronnie Earl than it would Buddy. Or how about direct descendants of "real" blues players, like the Lil' Slim Band led by Shawn Holt aka Magic Slim's son. Or David Kimbrough Jr., Junior Kimbrough's son. Liz Mandeville, Ray Bonneville, Wendy DeWitt, Holland K. Smith, Terry Hiatt are all among the artists who have been working a lifetime trying to make that big break and came to IBC looking for that little extra push.
Having an event that can place acts in direct contact with festivals, labels, promoters, publicists, etc. is not a bad thing. Criticizing it because you may think that "Authentic Heritage Blues Artists" are the only people deserving to be heard is an elitist attitude and if not given the opportunity to allow the genre to grow and expand, then it surely will die out as those performers age and pass on. And as stated before, that is what musicians like Hubert Sumlin wanted to prevent from happening. Greg JohnsonPresident, Cascade Blues AssociationPortland, Oregon   > Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 21:55:23 -0600