28th IBC Results

Bonni McKeown bonni@BARRELHOUSEBONNI.COM
Tue Feb 7 18:30:11 EST 2012

The fact is, there ARE authentic heritage blues artists singing and
playing real blues. There are at least 100 of them in Chicago and many
more in Mississippi,Alabama, Louisiana, Texas, California, and around this
country.

The whole IBC setup--especially the lack of definition of "blues" in
contest rules, distracts and detracts from the promotion of the true sons
and daughters of the blues. Just like the white DJs who refused to play
the music of black artists in the 1950s (causing people like Sam Phillips
to look for an Elvis Presley to make hits for Sun Records) we have
promoters in the so-called "blues" industry who favor imitators over
today's great Black artists of my (baby boom) generation.  Bruce Iglauer
was criticized for this in a petition signed by many of these artists and
their friends last year. But he is certainly not the only one.
http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/alligator-records-40th-anniversary/Content?oid=3834565

The sad thing is that these IBC competitions have become showcases for
festival promoters who hire these bands, maybe as a way to save money
instead of scouting out and hiring real blues acts. Blues Foundation,
instead of putting so much energy into these competitions and fostering
the creation of new bands, needs to work on creating and educating new
blues FANS.

--
PRAY FOR PEACE
WORK FOR JUSTICE

Bonni McKeown
www.barrelhousebonni.com
773-209-4712

Blues Music Reconnects Generations!
www.chicagoschoolofblues.org

Autobiography of blues singer and drummer Larry Hill Taylor
www.stepsonoftheblues.com