28th IBC Results

Louis Erlanger louisx@myfairpoint.net
Tue Feb 7 11:34:56 EST 2012

Buddy Guy used to play "Fever".  Probably the best version of that song I've
ever heard.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Weinstock
Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2012 6:00 AM
To: BLUES-L@LISTSERV.NETHELPS.COM
Subject: Re: 28th IBC Results

Ike and Tina recorded a slowed down version of "Proud Mary" prior to the hit
recording as well as
other covers.  They also recorded Alice Cooper cover "Only Women Bleed." Of
course lets not forget
Wilson Pickett's "Hey Jude" and covers by the Beatles and Stones by Otis
Redding.  So let us not
forget this background of looking for crossover material.

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 20:53:02 -0500, jinxblues@AOL.COM wrote:

>Interesting thought.  Along a similar vein, I wonder if, had performers
>like
>Jimmy Rogers, Junior Wells, Luther Allison, Magic Sam, Freddy King, Albert
>Collins or any other great blues performer, had the opportunity to make a
>huge
>amount of money by recording/releasing a song that made the top-10 on the
>pop
>charts (crossing over from R&B charts) whether they would care that much it
>sounded like "blues" as we may define it now.
>
>Someone sat Ike Turner down back Around 1969 and explained to him why he
>and Tina should cut
a song named "Proud Mary."

>You can be certain he had never heard of Creedance Clearwater Revival.
>
>But somebody had confidence that she could use that as a major crossover
>move.
>
>The amazing thing was not that it was a hit but that anyone could get Ike
>to listen to the idea in the
first place.