28th IBC Results

bluesfantom bluesfantom@CENTURYTEL.NET
Tue Feb 7 01:10:24 EST 2012

I tried to reply to this from my iPhone and got squat, I reckon.  Look, some
guy named Solomon Burke did an album, named, yep, Proud Mary.  Fogerty even
wrote the liner notes on this album way back in '69, and it was Burke who
told Ike he and Tina ought to do this song (that last info from Wikipedia).
Not such a big mystery.

I remember playing Buck Owens' Cryin' Time for Phillip Walker who had
recorded it back in the early '70s.  That was the first time he'd ever heard
Owens' version.  Phillip had gotten the song from Ray Charles.

Hello to all,
tom

Chuck Winans wrote:

Perhaps I'm not as surprised that Ike would listen to anyone say he should
record Proud Mary.  I suppose it would depend on who was offering such
advice, and what the circumstances were.  Ike loved the possibility of
making money almost as much as he liked making money.

If it was an A&R guy from his label saying they'd get behind it if Ike could
come up with a distinguishable, hot arrangement of it, and get it to the top
of the charts, Ike was hearing the ring-a-ling of the cash register.

CCR's original version was the B side of Born on the Bayou. Back in the days
when the B-side could still outperform the A-side of a 45, Proud Mary peaked
at #2 on the pop charts.

Ike & Tina's version reached #4 on the pop charts and won a Grammy in the
R&B category.  I seem to recall them performing the song on national
television.  Perhaps Ed Sullivan?  I was only about 13-14.  Definitely got
my attention.  In fact, for years after that, I thought it was Ike & Tina's
song that CCR covered, not the other way around.

Sent from my iPhone