28th IBC Results

Stan Erhart stan@ERHART.NET
Mon Feb 6 22:28:12 EST 2012

I know Ike has a back catalog of rhythm and blues music, but by the time he and Tina became household names, many of us didn't associate either of them with the blues at all. I saw their revue show in Kansas City in the early '70s and it was glitzy sexy show-biz and selling lots of tickets. And they got even more so after that. I've always thought of them as high energy cross-over soul/pop. I imagine they didn't mind that image a bit.

When I saw Ike at the San Francisco blues festival years later he wanted us to know that he wrote or co-wrote the first rock 'n' roll song, Rocket 88. I guess others disagree somewhat if it was the first, but he was certainly involved with the beginnings of rock. Even guitar distortion.
-----Original Message-----
From:         Chuck Winans <chuckone@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Sender:       Blues Music List <BLUES-L@LISTSERV.NETHELPS.COM>
Date:         Mon, 6 Feb 2012 20:57:27
To: <BLUES-L@LISTSERV.NETHELPS.COM>
Subject: Re: 28th IBC Results

Perhaps I'm not as surprised that Ike would listen to anyone say he should record Proud Mary.  I suppose it would depend on who was offering such advice, and what the circumstances were.  Ike loved the possibility of making money almost as much as he liked making money.

If it was an A&R guy from his label saying they'd get behind it if Ike could come up with a distinguishable, hot arrangement of it, and get it to the top of the charts, Ike was hearing the ring-a-ling of the cash register.

CCR's original version was the B side of Born on the Bayou. Back in the days when the B-side could still outperform the A-side of a 45, Proud Mary peaked at #2 on the pop charts.

Ike & Tina's version reached #4 on the pop charts and won a Grammy in the R&B category.  I seem to recall them performing the song on national television.  Perhaps Ed Sullivan?  I was only about 13-14.  Definitely got my attention.  In fact, for years after that, I thought it was Ike & Tina's song that CCR covered, not the other way around.

Sent from my iPhone