28th IBC Results

hashbb@AOL.COM hashbb@AOL.COM
Mon Feb 6 22:22:20 EST 2012

 Nice story Dick!
HB

-----Original Message-----
From: jinxblues <jinxblues@AOL.COM>
To: BLUES-L <BLUES-L@LISTSERV.NETHELPS.COM>
Sent: Mon, Feb 6, 2012 7:57 pm
Subject: Re: 28th IBC Results

Interesting thought.  Along a similar vein, I wonder if, had performers like

Jimmy Rogers, Junior Wells, Luther Allison, Magic Sam, Freddy King, Albert

Collins or any other great blues performer, had the opportunity to make a huge

amount of money by recording/releasing a song that made the top-10 on the pop

charts (crossing over from R&B charts) whether they would care that much it

sounded like "blues" as we may define it now.

Someone sat Ike Turner down back Around 1969 and explained to him why he and

Tina should cut a song named "Proud Mary."

You can be certain he had never heard of Creedance Clearwater Revival.

But somebody had confidence that she could use that as a major crossover move.

The amazing thing was not that it was a hit but that anyone could get Ike to

listen to the idea in the first place.

Dick Waterman

1601 Buchanan Avenue

Oxford, MS 38655