28th IBC Results

hashbb@AOL.COM hashbb@AOL.COM
Mon Feb 6 22:18:27 EST 2012

 Chuck,
We all know what the answer to that is! look at what Buddy Guy does now.
I don't blame any musician for making the money when you can, most times
you have one shot at that! Actually my point was how much alike I find Pop,
Country, Jazz and Blues. A good deal of new recordings today have a sameness,
just change the vocalist and a few instruments and it changes idiom.
As far as art, that's another question.
HB

-----Original Message-----
From: Chuck Winans <chuckone@sbcglobal.net>
To: hashbb <hashbb@AOL.COM>
Cc: BLUES-L <BLUES-L@LISTSERV.NETHELPS.COM>
Sent: Mon, Feb 6, 2012 7:25 pm
Subject: Re: 28th IBC Results

Interesting thought.  Along a similar vein, I wonder if, had performers like

Jimmy Rogers, Junior Wells, Luther Allison, Magic Sam, Freddy King, Albert

Collins or any other great blues performer, had the opportunity to make a huge

amount of money by recording/releasing a song that made the top-10 on the pop

charts (crossing over from R&B charts) whether they would care that much it

sounded like "blues" as we may define it now.

Interesting to speculate on, for sure.

On Feb 6, 2012, at 5:53 PM, hashbb@AOL.COM wrote:

> Congrats to all the winners. It is a long hard road to even get to the point

that you get

> selected to go to Memphis, and this is a major accomplishment for all of those

who get to compete,

> and especially the winners. I checked out videos by all of the winners(except

Dr Don from Sydney).

> At the risk of opening a bad can of worms here, and don't please don't take

this the wrong way, There

> is a lot of talent in all of the winning bands presented here. Just to my ears

I hear a lot of rock and folk and Pop, but not very

> much Blues content. I am not trying to throw my tastes onto any one, or come

off as having some preconceived notion of

> what is or is not or should not be Blues. I'm not saying whether this is a

good or bad thing, just that I hear a major shift

> of Blues melding into something else. I see it on all the rosters of the major

festivals, and in a lot of releases.

> It is the same in Country, Pop, and other music. I was just wondering

> if anyone else felt that way? Once again, this is not meant to slight any of

the winners or participants

owner-BLUES-L@listserv.nethelps.com