28th IBC Results

Chuck Winans chuckone@SBCGLOBAL.NET
Mon Feb 6 21:57:27 EST 2012

Perhaps I'm not as surprised that Ike would listen to anyone say he should record Proud Mary.  I suppose it would depend on who was offering such advice, and what the circumstances were.  Ike loved the possibility of making money almost as much as he liked making money.

If it was an A&R guy from his label saying they'd get behind it if Ike could come up with a distinguishable, hot arrangement of it, and get it to the top of the charts, Ike was hearing the ring-a-ling of the cash register.

CCR's original version was the B side of Born on the Bayou. Back in the days when the B-side could still outperform the A-side of a 45, Proud Mary peaked at #2 on the pop charts.

Ike & Tina's version reached #4 on the pop charts and won a Grammy in the R&B category.  I seem to recall them performing the song on national television.  Perhaps Ed Sullivan?  I was only about 13-14.  Definitely got my attention.  In fact, for years after that, I thought it was Ike & Tina's song that CCR covered, not the other way around.

Sent from my iPhone