28th IBC Results

Stan Erhart stan@erhart.net
Mon Feb 6 21:30:53 EST 2012

A lot of Freddie King's music was rock oriented IMO, partly because of Leon Russell, but maybe because he just had that rock energy in him. Son Seals' "Your Love is Like a Cancer" on Alligator sounds rock 'n roll in a good way. Quite a few other releases, some even by stalwart blues artists have a lot of rock in them. The key to me is whether or not it sounds good.

Was Howling Wolf the artist whose manager wouldn't allow him to play popular songs? I may be thinking of the wrong person.

Stan
-----Original Message-----
From:         jinxblues@AOL.COM
Sender:       Blues Music List <BLUES-L@LISTSERV.NETHELPS.COM>
Date:         Mon, 6 Feb 2012 20:53:02
To: <BLUES-L@LISTSERV.NETHELPS.COM>
Subject: Re: 28th IBC Results

Interesting thought.  Along a similar vein, I wonder if, had performers like
Jimmy Rogers, Junior Wells, Luther Allison, Magic Sam, Freddy King, Albert
Collins or any other great blues performer, had the opportunity to make a huge
amount of money by recording/releasing a song that made the top-10 on the pop
charts (crossing over from R&B charts) whether they would care that much it
sounded like "blues" as we may define it now.

Someone sat Ike Turner down back Around 1969 and explained to him why he and Tina should cut a song named "Proud Mary."

You can be certain he had never heard of Creedance Clearwater Revival.

But somebody had confidence that she could use that as a major crossover move.

The amazing thing was not that it was a hit but that anyone could get Ike to listen to the idea in the first place.

Dick Waterman
1601 Buchanan Avenue
Oxford, MS 38655