NBC: Poll: How do you get most of your commercial music these days

Stan Erhart stan@ERHART.NET
Sat Feb 4 18:25:14 EST 2012

These are my methods of getting music...

#1 method: I pay for downloads from services like iTunes and I love it
(convenience, selection and lower cost) 5 (4.5%)
#2 method: I get commercial music by a combination of downloading for free
and paying...but I pay for most of my commercial music 14 (12.7%)
#3 method: I buy from artists at shows, or trade my CD to other artists
that I know.
#4 method: If I can find a brick and mortar store still in business, I
like to browse their CDs. Green Apple in San Francisco is close to where I
live, and is a fun place to buy books or music.
#5 method: From time to time, musicians I work with send me mp3 versions
of their tunes, or tunes they think I'd be interested in.

Caveat to #1 is that I never buy audio files from iTunes, even though I
use iTunes for organizing my library. iTunes AAC format is not always
compatible with everything else I use (both Windows & Apple computers,
iPod Touch, Blackberry phone), plus sometimes their music is encrypted
(which makes it really hard to move to another machine). I also prefer the
Amazon website over the iTunes store anyway. It's easy to search, easy to
pay, doesn't make me use iTunes, etc.

Caveat to #2 is that most of my free downloading is done from youtube
videos, which I convert to mp3s if I'm not going to buy it. But if I think
I'll listen to a tune more than a couple of times, I usually go back
online, and buy it from Amazon. Youtube is great for tracking down
versions of tunes for learning, or research, but the sound quality isn't
usually as good as buying a decently mastered mp3 off a CD collection. I
tried LimeWire a few years back, but gave it up fairly quickly.

I like to support the original artists as much as I can, but I'm not a
purist in that regard. As a working musician at clubs, I get annoyed at
the way ASCAP affects the number of venues available to play. I just heard
of another venue who is cutting out live music because they don't feel
they can afford the ASCAP fees or lawsuits. Yea, ASCAP is paying some
royalties to some clients, but they're cutting into the paychecks of club
musicians as well. I just hope that they really are giving a big chunk of
money to artists, and not just absorbing most of the monies via their
administration costs and collection commissions.

Stan