RIP Big Jack Johnson

Jimmy Jacobs jacobslawoffice@GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 13 14:46:52 EDT 2011

A great loss indeed.  My first encounters with Big Jack were literary rather
than musical.  I used to do a lot of speaking to community and education
groups on school improvement and personal development (as a part of my job)
and kept at the ready a transparency with this quote from Big Jack that I
read in an article (Living Blues, I think):

"The world's still standing like it was a million years ago. Sun still comes
up and go down, wind still blow from the four corners of the earth, the
stars still shine. It's the peoples that live in the world that's got it so
messed up."

                                                        Big Jack Johnson

It never failed to get a positive response from the crowd.  I had the chance
later to hear him play and to talk with him.  He couldn't remember the
quote, exactly, but was proud that I had been telling people how smart he
was. :)

-----Original Message-----
From: Chuck Winans [mailto:chuckone@sbcglobal.net]
Sent: Sunday, March 13, 2011 12:54 PM
To: Jimmy Jacobs
Cc: BLUES-L@LISTSERV.NETHELPS.COM
Subject: Re: RIP BIg Jack Johnson?

Thank you all for the confirmation I had been dreading.  Farewell to the
last of the Jelly Roll Kings.  Goodbye to a giant in many more ways than
one.

On Mar 13, 2011, at 12:26 PM, Jimmy Jacobs <jacobslawoffice@GMAIL.COM>
wrote:

> I just received a confirmation.  Furneral is likely to be Thursday,
> So sorry that he is gone.
>
> On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 12:07 PM, Ricky Stevens <deltabluz@hotmail.com>
wrote:
>> Supposedly it was announced during the GZ live feed last night.  I'm
trying to confirm with the family.

>> Ricky Stevens
>>
>> Arkabutla, Mississippi
>>

>>> Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 12:39:31 -0400
>>> From: maxdog-blues-l@COMCAST.NET
>>> Subject: Re: RIP BIg Jack Johnson?
>>> To: BLUES-L@LISTSERV.NETHELPS.COM
>>>
>>> Well, there are other Jack Johnson's. One, the boxer, has been dead for
>>> a long time and the other, the younger white musician is too popular
>>> that it wouldn't be in all the news media. I assume Dick was referring
>>> to Big Jack Johnson and he's very sensitive about other people's
>>> feelings when it comes to things like this to not have some convincing
>>> evidence.
>>>
>>> There's nothing on Big Jack's web site (http://www.bigjackjohnson.com)
>>> nor Super Chikan's or Ground Zero's or the Clarksdale Press Register's
>>> site. He would be 70 years old (born July 30, 1940).
>>> --
>>> Walter

confirmation.  Can anyone on Blues-L confirm?