Musicians fret

Stan Erhart stan@ERHART.NET
Sat Aug 27 02:21:42 EDT 2011

A salesman at one of my favorite stores in the SF bay area said Gibson was a royal pain to deal with it. According to him, they were much more so than Fender, Taylor, Heritage, or the other lines they carried. I believe that store even decided to drop Gibson.
-----Original Message-----
From:         chuck 249 <hhs249@GMAIL.COM>
Sender:       Blues Music List <BLUES-L@LISTSERV.NETHELPS.COM>
Date:         Sat, 27 Aug 2011 00:52:07
To: <BLUES-L@LISTSERV.NETHELPS.COM>
Subject: Re: Musicians fret

Chillax sports fans....I can't say if this was trotted out AGAIN, for
the Lord only knows how many times, as a way for Gibson to get some
publicity, or because the WSJ (and Murdoch) cannot help itself, that
is just how they roll.

Let's see....here is essentially the same story from back in Feb 2011.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/gibson_guitar_tangled_in_madagascar_wood_law.html

...and before that back in 2010.
http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2221167/Gibson_sued_by_government_over

.....and before that, from 2009.
http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/48508

It is late, and I have been driving for about 14 hrs, so I am going to
stop with 2009... but these comments from the Taylor Guitar forum that
same year, shed some light on why we might be wading through yet
another retread of this story.

**Oh, man, I don't have even remotely enough time to cite chapter and
verse about old Henry the J, but the information is easily found
online. Just run a Google search on Henry Juskiewicz, and if you read
every angry forum discussion where his name comes up (almost never in
a flattering light,) you'll be sitting there reading from now until
when the Rapture finally comes along to whisk you away.

Short version: Henry Juskiewicz made his money on Wall Street during
the 1980's "greed is good" era, then remembered how he'd had fun as a
teenager while trying to learn guitar well enough to be a rock star,
and went looking for guitar-related companies to sink his money into.
The Norlin Corporation had just about run Gibson into the ground, and
were (as it turns out) on their last legs themselves, so Juskiewicz
and a couple of investment partners bought Gibson.

I give the man credit for having turned the company's quality decline
around, particularly in their acoustic guitars and mandolins, which
happen to be my own field of interest. But Juskiewicz has brought a
combative, litigation-happy (and some would say predatory) business
style to Gibson, and has alienated many, perhaps most of the people in
the business that he's dealt with.

But don't take my word for it. Run a Google search on the man, and
you'll easily find enough reading material to keep you up nights for
at least a couple of weeks. **

chuck, in dallas