visit to Blind Lemon's gravesite today

Don Ottensman bluesdfw@YAHOO.COM
Sat Sep 25 23:37:34 EDT 2010

I was in the vicinity for the first time in about 10 years so I thought I would stop by and pay my respects to Mr. Jefferson and see how the blues-L headstone is holding up.  I can report that it sill looks great and his grave is indeed being kept clean.

I heard that Joe Butcher, who was caretaker of the cemetery when Bruce Roberts did this project, passed away a few months ago.  I looked around a bit to see if he might be there now, but did not find his headstone.  Mr. Butcher did a lot of great work for that little cemetery as you can see by the fine new entrance that has evolved over the last 13 years.  The first time I went out there in 1996 or so, there was nothing but a cattle guard at the front.  I do not know who the caretaker is now, but they seem to be doing a fine job.

For those of you who do not know of the fine work blues-L did on this project (especially Bruce Roberts), the summary is still archived on the blues highway (but you need to page down) http://www.thebluehighway.com/amazonx.html  It is interesting, but a lot of mis-information is floating around about how this headstone came about, but the whole story is right there on the blues highway site.

I have some photos from my visit today posted here on my website:
http://bluesdfw.com/sub1/bljvisit2010.html

Don O.

DFW Blues website at http://bluesdfw.com/