RE: Ray LaMontagne - "Repo Man"

Jimmy Jacobs jacobslawoffice@GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 25 13:00:54 EDT 2010

Or The Black Keys...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnzIrRykilA&feature=channel.

-----Original Message-----
From: Blues Music List [mailto:BLUES-L@LISTSERV.NETHELPS.COM] On Behalf Of
Chuck
Sent: Saturday, September 25, 2010 7:40 AM
To: BLUES-L@LISTSERV.NETHELPS.COM
Subject: Ray LaMontagne - "Repo Man" < Musical Stew Daily

Ok, I think I posted something about that very catchy tune by Lamontange,
TROUBLE, that was used in some high profile commercial spot. I dug
it....but....after listening to his other stuff on the Internet(s), for the
most part I found his sound fairly repetitive.

However, he has a new record put, and this track REPO MAN is in a funkier
spot than most of his other stuff I have heard. I do think Ray and his band
do a great job....taking a road/groove less traveled. I hope they turn down
it more often in the future.

For most of us old timers this isn't the blues that we all grew up knowing
as the blues, and even though some marketing guys saying it is so, that
doesn't make it so, but if it will suck in some younger ears to the genre,
they can call this, and JJ Grey & Mofro (on Alligator), and any popular
music that skirts the edge of the blues genre if they want to. Sooner or
later some (ok, a few) of them will be surfing YouTube or itunes or (less
likely) their radio dial and stumble across some vintage Freddy King, Muddy
Waters, Otis Spann, Lightnin' Hopkins, or yes, maybe even SRV, get their
ears intoxicated on the good stuff, and want to come back to it often enough
that they develop a good old fashioned Jones for it.

At least that's how I have it drawn up on (e)paper.

http://musicalstewdaily.com/2010/09/09/ray-lamontagne-repo-man/

chuck
Sent from my iPad