Ray LaMontagne — “Repo Man” « Musical Stew Daily

Chuck hhs249@GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 25 08:39:38 EDT 2010

Ok, I think I posted something about that very catchy tune by Lamontange, TROUBLE, that was used in some high profile commercial spot. I dug it....but....after listening to his other stuff on the Internet(s), for the most part I found his sound fairly repetitive.

However, he has a new record put, and this track REPO MAN is in a funkier spot than most of his other stuff I have heard. I do think Ray and his band do a great job....taking a road/groove less traveled. I hope they turn down it more often in the future.

For most of us old timers this isn't the blues that we all grew up knowing as the blues, and even though some marketing guys saying it is so, that doesn't make it so, but if it will suck in some younger ears to the genre, they can call this, and JJ Grey & Mofro (on Alligator), and any popular music that skirts the edge of the blues genre if they want to. Sooner or later some (ok, a few) of them will be surfing YouTube or itunes or (less likely) their radio dial and stumble across some vintage Freddy King, Muddy Waters, Otis Spann, Lightnin' Hopkins, or yes, maybe even SRV, get their ears intoxicated on the good stuff, and want to come back to it often enough that they develop a good old fashioned Jones for it.

At least that's how I have it drawn up on (e)paper.

http://musicalstewdaily.com/2010/09/09/ray-lamontagne-repo-man/

chuck
Sent from my iPad