Eden Brent, BP, and another venue bites the dust

Jimmy Jacobs jacobslawoffice@GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 23 12:18:33 EDT 2010

... maybe that should be the blowout bites the venue.  I'm looking forward
to going to see Eden Brent tonight.  What I have heard from her new cd is
very good, and she's just a lot of fun anyway, but it will be bittersweet.
The venue, the Capitol Oyster Bar, is closing down at the end of the month.
The restaurant has struggled through the recession and business was
beginning to pick back up until BP blew a hole in the bottom of the Gulf.
Sad for the owner, Lewis Mashburn, and for the blues music scene here in
Montgomery.  Lewis has been dedicated to the music for a long time (his
eldest child is named for Spencer Bohren) and he has brought a lot of great
musicians here even though he usually lost money on the events. I've seen
Eden, Duke Robillard, Bob Margolin, Tommy Castro, John Nemeth, and Nick Moss
there, just in the past year.  The market for fresh seafood from the Gulf
that has pretty much gone away since the oil spew began and, as Lewis puts
it, "when you can't pay the bills anymore, you just have to shut the doors".
Hope I never see another BP ad about how they are going to "make things
right".