ragtime and jazz

Jay Watterworth jaywatterworth@COMCAST.NET
Tue Sep 21 23:54:48 EDT 2010

You are probably right about Mr. Jelly Roll.  And certainly right about him
being a fascinating character.  He may have died in destitute, but at one
point he was the toast of the town, many towns.  Truly a tragic story,
though.

And he was a great musician.  There are some recordings from the Library of
Congress that have been passed around.  I got access to them from another
list and they are wonderful, clear as a bell and include a number of
interviews.

Jay
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Steve Hoffman
  To: Jay Watterworth
  Cc: BLUES-L@LISTSERV.NETHELPS.COM
  Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 9:16 PM
  Subject: Re: ragtime and jazz

  "Mr. Morton"?!  I believe he much preferred to be addressed as "Mr Jelly
Roll" ;-p

  Been reading a lot about Jelly Roll Morton recently and listening to a lot
of his music.  Fascinating, fascinating character -- and despite his
reputation as boastful and full of himself, it turns out that a lot of his
claims stand up to historical research and in his music career he was sadly
a victim of corrupt, racist practices that ended with him dying destitute
while others made millions off his copyrights ....

  -Steve H

  Jay Watterworth wrote:
    In his introduction to "Paloma" Mr. Morton talks about this influence.

    There are a number of other problems with Jazz, IMHO.  I don't care for
the reliance on Mr. Marsalis and Stanley Couch.  Much jazz after the mid-60s
is dismissed including almost everything truly avant garde (Braxton,
Coleman) and electric (later Miles, fusion).

    But it ins nice to have all that jazz to watch and learn about.  It was
a huge undertaking and I am grateful Burns took it on.

    Jay

    ----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Hoffman"
<stevehoffman@STARPOWER.NET>