ragtime and jazz

Steve Hoffman stevehoffman@STARPOWER.NET
Tue Sep 21 18:34:33 EDT 2010

However, in all those many hours for that "Jazz" documentary, Burns had
neither the time nor interest to consider the Latin/Hispanic influence
on American jazz -- that influence is HUGE, in fact Jelly Roll Morton
himself said that the main difference between ragtime and jazz was that
for the latter, he added a "Latin tinge" -- but Burns just wasn't aware,
or didn't care, because he was so focused on the "black" and "white"
part of the American narrative, he couldn't or wouldn't delve into other
ethnicities. A major flaw in that series, IMO.
--Steve Hoffman