If Henry Ford Would Have Had His Way...

bluesfantom bluesfantom@CENTURYTEL.NET
Tue Sep 21 03:11:52 EDT 2010

> Ira wrote:  "Ford was a bitter man, and obviously a Republican and
> arch-Conservative."
>
> In 1916 Ford ran as a Democrat for US Senate and lost.
>
> Ricky Stevens
>
> Arkabutla, Mississippi

Well, there you go again, Ricky, not telling the whole story.  He was a
conservative, and a pacifist (I suppose this is possible).  He ran in 1918,
not 1916.  President Woodrow Wilson, in an effort to get his league of
nations through congress, needing a majority to do so, enticed the pacifist
Ford to run, which he did and lost by 4,500 votes out of 400k.  Ford also
hated Franklin Roosevelt and all he stood for (which would indeed make him a
republican).

He was anti-unions.  He delayed collective bargaining (after one of the more
brutal strikes in US history in 1937), as long as possible and almost
followed through with his promise to break up the company.  His wife,
however, wanted their kids to take over the company and threatened to leave
him if he followed through.  Thus, in 1941, Ford Motor Co., the last car
company in Detroit to come to the bargaining table, entered into one of the
most favorable contracts with the UAW.

I did not get to see this, but one of our hosts in Detroit suggested a tour
of a Ford/GM/Chrysler plant and one of Toyota.  Apparently, the Toyota plant
employees are treated much better than any of the big three.  By the same
person, one would want to then visit one of the Toyota plants in Tennessee,
where their employees aren't treated near as well.  I do wish I had had the
time to do this.

Also, I thought I'd point out, that this was my fourth national convention
(American Postal Workers Union), and I still come away awed by the power of
a true democracy.  If only everyone could be a witness to such things, maybe
the apathy and antipathy, even the polarizations we see everywhere would
melt, even a scooch.

tom
(there's a blues song in all this, but I don't know where it would be)