DYI Blues

Sonlewis1@AOL.COM Sonlewis1@AOL.COM
Wed Sep 15 00:33:56 EDT 2010

For me:

There is no set method... I am not like those who set aside "four hours"
every day after lunch as writing time but I do have a LOT of respect for
those  who have that discipline.

Typically what comes "first" is there are guitar or piano hooks that I
noodle on and some "stick" with me... sometimes a couple of different hooks may
 fit together, perhaps sometimes not.

Secondly, the hooks get expanded by adding a chord structure that works
with them and whose "groove" I like.

Lastly, the lyrics tend to flow out but I do have a "book of notes" of
phrases and ideas on topics that I wish to write about or express.   Usually
the first set of lyrics gets tweaked a bit when I sing them over the  hooks or
chord structure so I can tighten up on the phrasing.  There is  typically
NOT a lot of wholesale lyrical re-writes and my original lyrical  content
usually ends of being about 95% of what gets recorded.

Overall, the final flow is very erratic for me.  I may write six to  eight
new songs in a three week period and then NOTHING new comes for three or
four months.  I guess that makes me an "inspired" writer as opposed to a
"professional writer".

Son  Lewis
Blues Vocalist/Guitarist
_www.sonlewis.com_ (http://www.sonlewis.com/)
_http://www.youtube.com/silkcitycd_ (http://www.youtube.com/silkcitycd)

In a message dated 9/14/2010 7:48:00 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,