Bluesman Mr. Tater (Foster Wiley) passes; funeral arrangements; donations information

Leonard Watkins mannish@WINDSTREAM.NET
Sun Sep 12 09:10:57 EDT 2010

oh man I didn't know Tater passed. I was there in 1997 and other years, I
loved the guy myself. His enthusiasm was great - I think he played a song
sounds like 'Playing with the big boys'....I sure do hate that he seemed
like a good soul
LW

-----Original Message-----
From: Blues Music List [mailto:BLUES-L@LISTSERV.NETHELPS.COM] On Behalf Of
P.W. Fenton
Sent: Saturday, September 11, 2010 2:19 PM
To: BLUES-L@LISTSERV.NETHELPS.COM
Subject: Re: Bluesman Mr. Tater (Foster Wiley) passes; funeral arrangements;
donations information

In 1997 I went to my first Sunflower Blues Festival in Clarksdale.  I
noticed an interesting character cruising around on a bicycle, who seemed to
know everyone, civilian & celebrity alike.  I snapped a picture of him (
http://www.thebluehighway.com/Tater.jpg  ), and pulled out my notepad to
make a notation.  I turned to a local and said... who's that guy on the
bicycle?  She said "Oh him?  That's Tater.  He's everywhere.  He's
harmless."  I said "What's his full name?"  She said, "Tater is all I know.
He just goes by Tater.  Everybody calls him Tater".   I said, "Does he
sing?"  She said, "He thinks he does"  For a while, that was all I knew
about Tater.  Much to my surprise the following day he showed up in a dapper
looking suit and matching fedora to fill in for a missing performer, singing
and playing in a sort of Junior Kimbrough droning style.

P.W. Fenton
Hudson, FL
2003 KBA winner
http://BluesLand.Net