Bluesman Mr. Tater (Foster Wiley) passes; funeral arrangements; donations information

P.W. Fenton pwfenton@RADIOFREERADIO.ORG
Sat Sep 11 15:18:44 EDT 2010

In 1997 I went to my first Sunflower Blues Festival in Clarksdale.  I noticed an interesting character cruising around on a bicycle, who seemed to know everyone, civilian & celebrity alike.  I snapped a picture of him (  http://www.thebluehighway.com/Tater.jpg  ), and pulled out my notepad to make a notation.  I turned to a local and said... who's that guy on the bicycle?  She said "Oh him?  That's Tater.  He's everywhere.  He's harmless."  I said "What's his full name?"  She said, "Tater is all I know.  He just goes by Tater.  Everybody calls him Tater".   I said, "Does he sing?"  She said, "He thinks he does"  For a while, that was all I knew about Tater.  Much to my surprise the following day he showed up in a dapper looking suit and matching fedora to fill in for a missing performer, singing and playing in a sort of Junior Kimbrough droning style.

P.W. Fenton
Hudson, FL
2003 KBA winner
http://BluesLand.Net