Suit or In Tune Singing and Playing?

Leonard Watkins mannish@WINDSTREAM.NET
Wed Sep 8 18:04:10 EDT 2010

This was from an old Frets magazine a million years ago, It was great issue
on performing. The BB King statement stuck in my head. Like I said I don't
care about who I am going to see. It just helps me personally if I am
dressed a little bit different than I would be if I was going to Walmart. I
used to go as I am and a local rag had a picture of my hairyassed armpits in
mid strum cause I was in a sleeveless shirt, just jumped off the lawnmower
and went to the gig. I didn't want to see that anymore....Don't get me wrong
dressing up FOR ME is putting on a clean pair of chuck taylors & jeans..I
ain't talking about wearing a suit
LW

-----Original Message-----
From: Blues Music List [mailto:BLUES-L@LISTSERV.NETHELPS.COM] On Behalf Of
Chuck
Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 7:59 AM
To: BLUES-L@LISTSERV.NETHELPS.COM
Subject: Re: Suit or In Tune Singing and Playing?

For some reason when I see BB announced in front of his big band on the big
stage I never confuse the big man with anyone in the audience....and
wouldn't even if he wearing the afore mentioned dreaded dungarees.  But
that's just me.

All I can say is thank the Lord the hippies who were playing rock in the 60s
and 70s were not subjected to the same fashion po-lice whims as the blues
performers are...because frankly I just don't think the Grateful Dead or
Commander Cody or Canned Heat would have benefited by dressing up like the
New Christy Minstrels. For me, then as now, I really could care less what
they were wearing as long as their clothes didn't stink....It should be
about the music and having fun and dancing if you want to, not judging
someone by their threads.

Let's see, the blues po-lice want "their" performers dressed up, not
cussing, not smoking weed during breaks, drinking bottled water, always
making eye contact when the paying audience wants them to be making eye
contact, be accessible, don't play too loud, performing in a smoke free room
starting as early in the evening as possible... and oh yeah, those god damn
dancers need to sit down too. And then we sit around and opine that "the
blues these days, man, they just aren't the same."   Got it.

Then again, for some perspective, perhaps we should also recall the
blackface performers who went out of their way to show up on stage
purposefully trying to look like they  were "there to mow the long." They
never called that what it really was, they called it entertainment too.

chuck

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 7, 2010, at 6:21 PM, Leonard Watkins <mannish@WINDSTREAM.NET> wrote:

> BB King said he didn't want to be mistaken for someone in the audience -
> When I go see somebody I could careless but when I play It puts on my game
> face. It reminds me I am there to entertain not mow the lawn
>
> LW

18:34:00