Suit or In Tune Singing and Playing?

Chuck hhs249@GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 8 08:58:59 EDT 2010

For some reason when I see BB announced in front of his big band on the big stage I never confuse the big man with anyone in the audience....and wouldn't even if he wearing the afore mentioned dreaded dungarees.  But that's just me.

All I can say is thank the Lord the hippies who were playing rock in the 60s and 70s were not subjected to the same fashion po-lice whims as the blues performers are...because frankly I just don't think the Grateful Dead or Commander Cody or Canned Heat would have benefited by dressing up like the New Christy Minstrels. For me, then as now, I really could care less what they were wearing as long as their clothes didn't stink....It should be about the music and having fun and dancing if you want to, not judging someone by their threads.

Let's see, the blues po-lice want "their" performers dressed up, not cussing, not smoking weed during breaks, drinking bottled water, always making eye contact when the paying audience wants them to be making eye contact, be accessible, don't play too loud, performing in a smoke free room starting as early in the evening as possible... and oh yeah, those god damn dancers need to sit down too. And then we sit around and opine that "the blues these days, man, they just aren't the same."   Got it.

Then again, for some perspective, perhaps we should also recall the blackface performers who went out of their way to show up on stage purposefully trying to look like they  were "there to mow the long." They never called that what it really was, they called it entertainment too.

chuck

Sent from my iPad