Playing VS Looking Good - it's a show

Louis Erlanger louisx@myfairpoint.net
Tue Sep 7 11:52:50 EDT 2010

When you get on stage, it's a show.  It's theater.  It's not a living room
jam. Why do I remember early Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters and BB King shows
like they were yesterday? As much because of the way they looked as the way
the played and how they interacted with the audience.  Howlin' Wolf in a
dark suit, white shirt and red tie crawling under the cafe tables and doing
somersaults. Muddy Waters and his band in shiny barbershop-style shirts with
processed hairdos, with Muddy trembling in a trance as he ended "Long
Distance Call".  The magnificent clothing and custom designed music stands
of the big BB King band.

It used to be --- you don't make it a show, the audience won't show.