Lost verses of old Blues Songs

Jonny Meister bluesandbeyond@GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 6 21:00:15 EDT 2010

I think this was part of the style of some of the earliest recorded
blues, from those sadly-neglected early years where most of the
singers were women, singing with generally "uptown" jazzy bands.
These recordings haven't enjoyed the popularity of rarer and more
rural sounding ones with the folk-revival and rock audiences, even
though a number of these "country blues songs" were actually covers
of these early urban records. Check out Ma Rainey, Alberta Hunter,
Ida Cox... the Smiths (Bessie, Mamie, Clara, Laura, Trixie) and the
women who recorded in the years 1920-1926. Ida Cox kind of does one
of those intro verses in One Hour Mama:

I've always heard that haste makes waste
So I believe in takin' my time
The highest mountain can't be raced
It's something you must slowly climb
I want a slow and easy man