The Golden Age of Blues - was there one?

Ricky Stevens deltabluz@HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 3 07:24:27 EDT 2010

Pat, I don't know if it's your paranoia or your narcissism that's showing.  Your name had not even crossed my mind.

My point is and was that there is a lot of good music being performed today.  I think it is completely unfair to those currently active artists to refer to some Golden Age of blues being sometime in the distant past.  Apparently my sarcasm was lost on you and PW.  (Can someone mark the date?  I actually got Boyack, Nevitt, and Fenton to agree on something.)

Much of today's blues borrows rock or country or reggae elements.  The players have different backgrounds and influences from the originators and today's music is as different from 1950 Chicago as 1930 Piedmont  from 1930 Delta and 1930 Tin Pan Alley.

Today's music is different from then.  Today's players are different as well.  Seriously, in 1960 who would have thought a boy from Utah, the daughter of a Broadway star, a bunch of English guys or  a long haired kid from Boston could ever be blues artists?

The absurdity is that trying to pin a Golden Age label on any era of a music as internally diverse as blues has been over the past century is a wasted effort.  To say that some Golden Age has come and gone and will never be equaled is just as wrong as the folks who claimed Lou Gehrig's consecutive games streak or Babe Ruth's home Run records would never be broken.

Pat, I have something you and several others who have posted to this thread seem not to possess.  I have optimism that good days are behind, good days are to come, and good days are here now.  You keep looking to the past.  I'll look toward what I see is a bright future.

Ricky Stevens

Arkabutla, Mississippi