The Golden Age of Blues - was there one?

P.W. Fenton pwfenton@RADIOFREERADIO.ORG
Thu Sep 2 10:34:03 EDT 2010

On Sep 2, 2010, at 9:51, Ricky Stevens wrote:

>> Your reaction makes me think you are more worried that music you like might get excluded from a "best" category.
>>

> P-dub, you think too much.
>
> You argue that a Golden Age might have to do with quantity.  More blues artists have access to recording today than ever before, and more records are produced now than at any time in the past.  Following your line of reasoning that quantity is the determining factor, the Golden Age is now.

Well... "quantity" wasn't my line of reasoning... I just suggested it as one of many ways one MIGHT measure a "golden age".  I haven't actually suggested any period as a golden age myself.  I was just critical of your statement that considering any period to be a "golden age" meant that musicians not from that age are "all a bunch of BS posers who need to just stay home".

Whatever period someone considers a "golden age", by whatever criteria, is not a denigration of things created in other periods.

The fact that I prefer corn flakes is not an attack on cheerios.

P.W. Fenton
Hudson, FL
2003 KBA winner
http://BluesLand.Net