The Golden Age of Blues - was there one?

Ricky Stevens deltabluz@HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 2 09:00:48 EDT 2010

No more absurd than this whole "what was the golden age of blues" discussion.

If the Golden Age is passed, then it follows that the folks playing today are second-raters at best.  If that's the best they can be, then why bother?

Personally, I disagree with the whole concept that there was a Golden Age and that it has passed.  The fact is that the music is different, the players are different, and they will be remembered differently by history than the folks of fifty years ago.  Does that mean that one group is better than the other?  No, just as any discussion of whether Little Walter was "better" that Bessie Smith is a waste of time and energy.

Ricky Stevens

Arkabutla, Mississippi