The Golden Age of Blues - was there one?

hashbb@AOL.COM hashbb@AOL.COM
Wed Sep 1 13:33:02 EDT 2010

 Ken,
I think if you look at the 70's
again, you will see that many artists and pivotal
recordings we're done in the 70's!
I understand what you are saying though. It is disheartening to
see that most blues I hear on a big stage has more to do with Rock
than Blues. The popularity has waned quite a bit in the last 10 years.
HB

-----Original Message-----
From: Ken Peace <kenpeace@GMAIL.COM>
To: BLUES-L@LISTSERV.NETHELPS.COM
Sent: Wed, Sep 1, 2010 10:10 am
Subject: The Golden Age of Blues - was there one?

My esteemed and leaned friends,

Many periods could be considered the golden age of blues, of course
depending on one's criteria.

The founders and pioneers pre-war

How about the post war years and the outburst of RnB, recording studios and
the availablity of those records.

How about the 1950s midwest. In Chicago and Detroit: Chess Records

Then there's the Brit blues boom of the 60's - Clapton Mayall et al.

Probably not the 1970s - let's face it.

The retro West Coast white cat boom of the 1980s - Hollywood Fats etc.

Into the present day with more blues available than ever before, more
festivals, more CDs or downloads.

Despite the present day featuring very strongly - why do I feel so depressed
about the future?  One thing that I am certain of - whenever the golden age
is/was - I am certain that it is behind us.

In my late 40s, I am often one of the youngest present at most blues events.

Cheers
Ken

--
Ken Peace