computer microphone recommendation

P.W. Fenton pwfenton@RADIOFREERADIO.ORG
Wed Sep 1 11:27:30 EDT 2010

On Sep 1, 2010, at 10:21, deja blues wrote:

> I'd like to record band rehearsals directly to the computer.  I have the software, but need recommendations for a microphone(s) that will go directly to my laptop computer.
>
> Recommendations please?

I never advise people to by USB microphones which attach directly to your computer's USB port because they are useless for anything else.  They can't be connected to a mixer, or a P.A. or a tape recorder, or a portable digital recorder, and you can't plug in more than one and expect to simply mix them... etc.

For what you want to do a way better alternative would be to buy a Zoom H2 (or similar) portable digital recorder.  You can record with that and then transfer the file to your laptop for editing etc.  The H2 has built in microphones that can record in stereo, or even 4 track surround sound, that are just outstanding.  Here is an example of something I recorded with one, of a live band where I just propped the thing up on a chair in the audience:
http://digitalflotsam.org/Recovery-AndyIrvine.mp3

Best of all, despite the high quality recordings you can make with them, they are cheap:
http://tinyurl.com/H2-Amazon

P.W. Fenton
Hudson, FL
2003 KBA winner