PLAYLIST: KMUW Crossroads May Top 20/Shows

chrisradio4 chrisradio4@yahoo.com
Tue May 4 02:26:05 EDT 2010

KMUW FM 89.1 CROSSROADS
SUNDAYS AT 7 p.m. AND at 5 a.m., 1p.m. & 9 p.m. on KMUW-HD2

Crossroads is KMUW's contemporary blues and soul show. Hosted by Chris Heim, the program highlights blues, R&B and soul from the post-war era to the present, from classic recordings to new releases, and from mainstream sounds to a diverse and wide-ranging collection of artists and recordings with roots in the blues and branches in nearly every other musical genre.

MAY:
May 2 – This Sunday, it’s the Holmes and Watson show – or more accurately, the Holmes, Holmes and Watson show, as we celebrate the birthday of soul jazz organist Richard “Groove” Holmes and highlight concerts from the Holmes Brothers and Bobby Watson performing with soulful singer Ernie Andrews. Plus, new music from Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings and Kirk Fletcher, classics from Percy Mayfield and Johnny Adams, and lots of mellow blues sounds this time around.

May 9 – This time around, Crossroads features music from blues saxophonist A.C. Reed and Muddy Waters Band guitarist Steady Rollin’ Bob Margolin, plus new music from the Neville Brother’s Cyril Neville, soulful singer Janiva Magness, the latest solo project from Stanton Moore of Galactic and Kansas-born bluesman Big Jim Adam with John Stilwagen.

May 16 – Crossroads highlights  music from a number of artists with regional concerts in the coming week, including Rod Piazza and Moreland & Arbuckle, both appearing at this year’s Chautauqua Hills Blues Festival. Plus new music from singer Catherine Russell and Fabulous Thunderbirds guitarist Johnny Moeller and more.

May 23 – This Sunday Crossroads highlights classic blues from Otis Rush and Jimmy Johnson, the soulful side with Otis Redding and James Hunter, and the swinging and jump style of Duke Robillard and Roomful of Blues, plus something a bit different with the African funk of the Sahara All Stars.

May 30 – The latest from the Cash Box Kings, Kilburn Alley Blues Band, Galactic, Mac Arnold and Plate Full O’ Blues, Solomon Burke and a new compilation of Stax hits – just a few of the sounds in store on this Sunday’s edition of Crossroads.

CROSSROADS TOP 20
MAY
1.The Holmes Brothers - Feed My Soul (Alligator)
2.Moreland and Arbuckle - Flood (Telarc)
3.Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings - I Learned the Hard Way (Daptone)
4.Mac Arnold and Plate Full O' Blues - Country Man (Vizztone)
5.Kirk Fletcher - My Turn (Eclecto Groove)
6.Cash Box Kings - I-94 Blues (Blue Bella)
7.Janiva Magness - The Devil Is An Angel Too (Alligator)
8.Homemade Jamz Blues Band - I Got Blues For You (Northern Blues)
9.Cyril Neville - The Essential Cyril Neville 1994-2007 (MC Records)
10.Little Smokey Smothers and Elvin Bishop - Chicago Blues Buddies (Black Derby)
11.Travis 'Moonchild' Haddix - If I'm One, You're One Too (Benevolent Blues)
12.Zora Young - The French Connection (Delmark)
13.Kilborn Alley Blues Band - Better Off Now (Blue Bella)
14.Stanton Moore - Groove Alchemy (Telarc)
15.Johnny Moeller - BlooGaLoo! (Severn)
16.Catherine Russell - Inside This Heart of Mine (World Village)
17.Downchild - I Need A Hat (Linus)
18.Peter Parcek - The Mathematics of Love (Redstar/Vizztone)
19.Various - Stax Number Ones (Stax)
20.Rhoda Scott - Beyond the Sea (Doodlin')