Replacing The Nuts On An Acoustic Guitar

Stan Erhart stan_erhart@pcworld.com
Sat Jan 31 22:10:27 EST 2009

I concur. I've installed several tusq nuts and use one on my main tele style gtr.  They sound good and the pre-slotting makes them relatively easy to install. You should still buy slotting tools if you do it yourself so you can tweak the first fret string height. Stew Mac sells them. Buy a couple in case you mess up the first one. For a valuable guitar, it's still better to have a guitar tech do the work.

----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Huggins [jukekings@suddenlink.net]
Sent: 01/31/2009 08:51 PM CST
To: BLUES-L@LISTS.NETSPACE.ORG
Subject: Re: Replacing The Nuts On An Acoustic Guitar

Hello Jon!
Having painstakingly carved a bone nut on too many occasions, let me
suggest an alternative. TUSQ brand nuts come pre string grooved and
measured. Drop by a music store with this brand. The labels describe
which size neck the nuts are made for.
  Tusq is a very consistent manmade product that haas similar sound
transfer to bone. I can do eiither, but choose the TUSQ for convenience
and quality made product. About 12 dollars. Good Stuff. I swear.
Cordially
Michael
On Jan 31, 2009, at 10:22 AM, pat boyack wrote:

> Yes, Bone is the best. Thank God the brass nut is a thing of the past.
>
> Also, make sure the guitar repairman you have do it knows what they are
> doing. If it goes on bad nothing will fix it except more money.
>
> Pat B
>
> On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 22:21:02 -0800, Steve Ahola <steve@blueguitar.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> I think that bone makes the best nuts- well worth it to have your
>> luthier or guitar tech install them on your guitars, acoustic and
> electric.
>>

>> Steve Ahola

> Archives & web interface:
> http://lists.netspace.org/archives/blues-l.html
> http://www.lsoft.com
> To unsubscribe from BLUES-L, send an email with the message
> UNSUBSCRIBE BLUES-L to: listserv@lists.netspace.org

Music is sustenance to a level of consciousness that transcends all
genres/cultures.
www.parisbluessociety.com
http://www.InnocenceProjectOfTexas.Org

MH