Fw: Blues in Inauguration

Gregory Johnson slimlively@hotmail.com
Tue Jan 20 23:53:24 EST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: Gregory Johnson<mailto:slimlively@hotmail.com>
To: maurice richard libby<mailto:blues@whiteboy-slim.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 8:50 PM
Subject: Re: Blues in Inauguration

Yes, he used the theme from Broonzy's lyrics, but did alter them a bit and ad-libbed some extra lines. What I found myself thinking was how it has always been said that the blues is the devil's music, yet you find a preacher like the Rev. Dr. Joseph E. Lowery quoting a bluesman's lyrics. But there always has been a connection with blues and religion in one way or another. Think Son House, Gary Davis, Robert Wilkins, etc.

Here are Broonzy's lyrics from the last stanza of his song "Black, Brown and White"

I hope when sweet victory,
With my plough and hoe
Now I want you to tell me brother,
What you gonna do about the old Jim Crow?
Now if you was white, should be all right,
If you was brown, could stick around,
But if you black, whoa brother, get back, get back, get back